Complicated and changing pension legislation
Many people struggle with understanding how tax relief for their pensions savings works, especially how different pension allowances can make a difference to the amount of pension contributions they should be making now, and as a result what tax is then owed.
In the 2020 Spring Budget, the Chancellor announced that the two tapered annual allowance thresholds would be raised by £90,000 and the minimum tapered annual allowance would be decreased to £4,000 from April 2020. These changes could have a significant impact on clients who are high net worth individuals.
The Absolute Pencon Tool has been updated for these changes, allowing you to quickly and simply show your clients how they can maximise their pension contributions.
The Excel based Taxpert Pencon Tool has been created to help tax advisers to better advise individuals on their 2021-22 and 2022-23 pension contributions. It allows users to look at an individual’s pension contributions on a case by case basis.
The Pencon Tool is a three step process to helping your clients make the best decisions when it comes to their pension contributions:
·Step 1 is a review of their current pension savings portfolio, based on their income and pension savings history.
·Step 2 calculates what pension contributions each client should make based on their personal circumstances and the different allowances and reliefs available to them.
·Step 3 produces a detailed and easy to understand report which can be given to your clients to help explain their current and future pension position, based on the contributions they are making.
The App enables users to review pension contributions based on:
- earnings, income and pension savings history from 2017-18 to 2021-22;
- direct contribution into money purchase schemes;
- net pay contributions (ie where employer deducts from gross pay);
- gross paid contributions (eg to old style retirement annuity contracts);
- employer contributions to money purchase schemes; and
- pension inputs to defined benefit schemes.
The Taxpert Pencon Tool will then:
- calculate an individual’s available annual allowance;
- determine their tapered annual allowance, where relevant;
- apply the money purchase annual allowance, if appropriate;
- calculate the amount subject to the annual allowance charge (if any);
- advise on the maximum allowable pension contribution which can be made in that year; and
- advise on the minimum pension contribution to make, to avoid wasting any unused annual allowances
The Tool also includes:
- a pension input amount estimator for final salary schemes; and
- a “scheme pays” tool.
The Taxpert Pencon Tool in action
- John’s financial adviser told him his company could pay £40,000 into John’s pension and get corporation tax relief and John would have no tax to pay. John’s earnings are £300,000 a year. He has been doing this for some years! Oh dear – John will have a personal tax liability of £16,200 each year.
- Jill is an NHS manager with gross salary for 2021-22 of £204,000 and a pension input amount figure of £60,000 from her NHS pension. Her annual allowance excess is £32,000 on which tax will be £14,400. Using the Pencon Tool you advise Jill to pay a personal pension contribution of £3,200 net because that will reduce her annual allowance excess to £24,000 on which the tax will be £10,800.
Why use the Taxpert Pencon Tool?
The Pencon Tool has been designed specifically to help you advise clients on the tax implications of their pension savings. You can use it to identify the required tax return entries for 2021-22, but also to identify the tax consequences of different pension savings strategies in 2022-23. In addition, the Pencon Tool shows you if any excess allowance charges arise. As with all the Absolute Taxpert Apps, the Pencon Tool gives you the full workings and calculations and you will have total confidence that the tax figures you show to your clients are correct.
Pencon Tool in action – feedback from our users
“The Pencon tool has proved invaluable in unpicking the complex area of maximum contributions and the dreaded pensions annual allowance charge. It is possible to spend many wasted hours trying to make sense of a particular case. The Pencon tool saves a great deal of time through quickly confirming your assumptions and calculations are correct or, in some instances, confirming that you should have chosen a different career!”
Mark Asquith FCCA, Asquith and Co. Accountants Limited
The Taxpert Pencon Tool costs just £99 + VAT for a single user licence. However, if you buy the Taxpert Pencon Tool you can then purchase any of the following Taxpert Apps for just £50 + VAT per App for a single user licence:
Further details about the range of Taxpert Planning Apps can be found here.
> Download a free trial of Pencon Tool
> Download a free trial of Taxpert Tax calculator
> Download a free trial of Taxpert Profit extractor
> Download a free trial of Taxpert Incorporation
> Download a free trial of Company Car planner
> Back to Products Home
Add to Basket